[Cialug] Active Directory equivalent?

David Bierce operations at cynicbytrade.com
Fri Mar 9 13:58:41 CST 2007

Ello --

True, but it really depends on which which features you want.  If you
want a very large set of permissions and user management and just
want printing and windows shares the current implementation of
OpenLDAP/Samba works great.  But there are something that even the
pending release of Samba4 doesn't allow on windows platforms.  Namely
group policy for local machine privileges.  But if you just want
Windows shares to play nice on your network, Samba+LDAP rocks.

If you're looking for a pure Linux environment, LDAP+Kerberos for
network resources is really a viable option, I'm even starting to see
copy machines support it :)

Has anyone tried Red Hat Directory Server?  It was insane to compile,
test and configure as source, but until recently so was OpenLDAP.

The mostly Silent Reader,
Dave