[Cialug] Help with vmware install

Matthew Nuzum matthew.nuzum at canonical.com
Thu Mar 8 08:29:20 CST 2007

On Wed, 2007-03-07 at 22:41 -0600, Jeff wrote:
> I was following the steps as shown at the following location:
> http://www.howtoforge.com/the_perfect_desktop_ubuntu6.10_p8
>
> trying to install VMware so that I could run some of my windows programs
> in Ubuntu.

Vmware server may be overkill... I'd install vmware player, which is
free and is in the canonical commercial repository. This means you can
install it by going to Applications --> Add/Remove --> search for
vmware. It takes care of the dependencies for you.

Then, download some OS image, for example, an Ubuntu image. Boot off it
to make sure it works. Once you're sure everything is AOK, install
Windows to your image using your Windows CD.

By the way, I just noticed Parallels is available for Linux and is very
attractively priced... anyone use this yet? I purchased Vmware
workstation a few versions ago, so it doesn't work on newer kernels and
I couldn't bring myself to keep upgrading it. But I miss the nice
management tools that they've stripped out of vmware player.
--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode