[Cialug] Help with vmware install

Jeff ubuntujeff at jlscharp.com
Wed Mar 7 22:41:10 CST 2007

I was following the steps as shown at the following location:
http://www.howtoforge.com/the_perfect_desktop_ubuntu6.10_p8

trying to install VMware so that I could run some of my windows programs
in Ubuntu.
When I got down to the part that says "Unpack the VMware Server .tar.gz
file and run the installer:" I did a cut and paste of the command into
the terminal and it looked like everything was installing, except that
instead of getting    "The installer will ask you a lot of questions.
You can always accept the default values simply by hitting <ENTER>.

At the end of the installation, you will be asked to enter a serial
number:

Please enter your 20-character serial number.

Type XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX or 'Enter' to cancel:"

I got no questions and was not prompted to enter a serial number. The
final lines of the text on the terminal were:

vmware-server-distrib/man/man1/vmware.1.gz
vmware-server-distrib/installer/
vmware-server-distrib/installer/services.sh
vmware-server-distrib/vmware-install.pl
vmware-server-distrib/FILES
gracyrus59 at gracyrus59-desktop:~/Desktop$ cd vmware-server-distrib
gracyrus59 at gracyrus59-desktop:~/Desktop/vmware-server-distrib$
sudo ./vmware-install.plexit
I'm sorry, but I don't know code or command line and am stuck at this
point of the install.

Can someone give me some idea what is going on here and what I need to
do to finish the install.

Thanks for your help.