[Cialug] Time change?

Josh More morej at alliancetechnologies.net
Thu Mar 1 13:26:10 CST 2007

Matt,

I certainly agree, with the caveat that Y2K was a non-event largely
because a lot of people spent a lot of money to make it a non-event.
However, we have a lot of clients concerned, so we're doing the On Call
thing.  If it is a non-event, it's minimal cost.  If it's not, we're
prepared.

Honestly, I do not expect problems on the weekend itself, but I expect
a lot of "my calendar isn't working right" calls on the following
Monday.

Luckily, we don't work much in the industries that I'm particularly
concerned about.  Think about health care and automated time-based
dosage systems, high-performance manufacturing lines being controlled by
different OSs at different points (going back to DOS 3, really, I've
seen it), and security systems with time-limited access parameters.  It
is shocking how many developers custom-coded DST logic instead of
relying on the OS.

Though, I am wondering about the VCR firmware updates.  Will they start
blinking "1:00" ?

--
-Josh More, RHCE, CISSP, NCLP
 morej at alliancetechnologies.net
 515-245-7701

On Thu, 1 Mar 2007, Josh More wrote:

> The big thing to be aware of is that not everything has patches, and
> that even when we patch, there's no way to know with certainty what
will
> occur on the 11th.  That's why we'll all be On Call for that
weekend.

Seriously?  Everyone is going to be on call that weekend?!?

Josh, I'm willing to bet lunch that this is going to be a non- event,
much
like Y2K.

- Matt