[Cialug] OT: camcorder

Claus cniesen at gmx.net
Fri Jun 29 15:49:16 CDT 2007

A month ago or so I purchased a camcorder as well.  I picked the Sony
DCR-HC28 which runs around $250.  Keep in mind that camcorders come with
small batteries, so I had to spend another $50 on a second battery
(NPFH70) which has about 3 times the capacity.  I'm quite happy with
that camera.  The only bad thing is the build in microphone. If you use
it outside and there is a bit of wind then the wind will be very loud
(like a hurricane) and nothing else can be heard.  I think attaching
some blinds or foam to deflect the wind from the mic would help.

I choose MiniDV over DVDs and HD.  HD have limited recording time and
then you are stuck until you download the video.  DVDs are cumbersome
and what's the point if you cut the video on the computer anyway.  I
also heard that the video quality with MiniDV tapes are better than
DVDs.  Make sure though that you have a decent and easy to use video
editor.  I use Nero Vision so far.  I also have Pinnacle Studio but need
to use it with the camcorder first before giving my opinion about it.
So calculate that cost into your purchasing decision, too.

Skip the camera bag.  For $250 just carry the camcorder in your hand
(it's small enough) and keep it ready to use.

BTW, don't bother with still features on a camcorder.  Either take
stills with a real camera or take videos.  You can't do both at the same
time anyway.

Have a nice weekend,
   Claus