[Cialug] OT: camcorder

jaybabel at mchsi.com jaybabel at mchsi.com
Fri Jun 29 12:28:35 CDT 2007

I bought a Panasonic Mini-DV model for around $500 from Best Buy to replace my aging Canon.  The new camcorder has 3 CCDs as opposed to 1 and the color is noticeably better.

Audio is not great but generally acceptable for family videos.  It seems most manufacturers are eliminating the external audio input jack on models in this price range.  Unfortunate.

After a lot of research I think Mini-DV is still preferable to DVD in terms of reliability and I'm a little leary of an HDD in a camcorder.  I have a DVD player/recorder so I can burn directly to DVD without turning on a computer which is convenient but either way, I'd stick with Mini-DV for now.

One other thing, the flash memory cards aren't usually included anymore.  I haven't found them to be particularly useful anyway.

I was happy with the Canon and I really like the Panasonic.

Jay

-------------- Original message from "Nathan C. Smith" <nathan.smith at ipmvs.com>: --------------