[Cialug] OT - Best/better cable modem?

Nathan C. Smith nathan.smith at ipmvs.com
Thu Jun 28 10:07:55 CDT 2007

I have a friend who is using Mediacom.  They have been out to replace her
cable modem and now it is a very small olive/beige box.  I'm assuming it is
made by Motorola.  The cable modem gets quite hot.  She is having the same
issue with this one as with her old one (older neighborhood in DSM).  Every
once in a while it just stops transmitting.  Her fix is to disconnect the
coax and the power and reconnect it.  That seems to do the trick.  I tried
just the power while I was there and nothing happened.  Mediacom has
replaced the cables up to the box but the issues persist.

I think this is a strange problem but has anyone else seen anything like
this?  Is there anything to be gained by using an alternative cable modem?

Anybody know of any voodoo or magic cable modem cures?

Thanks.

-Nate