[Cialug] OT: Tivo

Josh More morej at alliancetechnologies.net
Tue Jun 26 14:46:42 CDT 2007

The Multimedia night is currently scheduled for April.

We could swap the meeting around, but I was sort of looking forward to
talking about social media at the next meeting.  We can't move the
Graphics meeting in August, because we need to prep for SFD.  We could,
however, swap Multimedia with Office, and do it in September.  In fact,
if we attract people with SFD, that might make sense, as Multimedia
might be a more interesting-to-the-newbie topic than Office.

Details are here:  http://www.cialug.org/ewiki/?id=Meeting+Calendar

-Josh More, RHCE, CISSP, NCLP, GIAC
 morej at alliancetechnologies.net
 515-245-7701

>>> "Tim Wilson" <tim_linux at wilson-home.com> 06/26/07 2:39 PM >>>
Ya know, with all this talk about Tivo, maybe that would be a good
topic for
a meeting.  How does that sound to everyone?  I'd be willing to give a
demo,
and even bring in my standalone Series 1 for people to look at.

Oh, and in case anyone is wondering, my laptop did die (it appears to
be the
video "card").  I think I can boot it long enough to pull the meeting
notes
off, so I'm going to try to do that tomorrow night.

On 6/26/07, Claus <cniesen at gmx.net> wrote:

> On 6/26/2007 10:37 AM, Tony Bibbs wrote:
> > Ah, right you are. I can't just drop the drives in a new unit and
> > recover my recordings.  I talked to a guy at weaknees and he is 90%
sure
> > it's hard drive failure anyway.  One way to find out quickly is to
> > simply put another drive with a newly formated OS6.2 and see if it
> > boots.  I guess the first thing todo is verify one of the drives
died
> > and if so I'll be in the market for a big IDE drive.
> >
> > --Tony
>
> I upgraded my TiVo to a Seagate DB35 drive.  I choose that drive
since
> they weren't any more expensive than regular desktop Seagate drives
and
> I had to buy one anyway.  These drives are designed with DVR in mind
and
> I hoped that they will keep the system quieter.  So far no complains
> about reliability nor noise.  The only problem is that TiVo records
> many shows now and I don't have enough time to watch them. :)
>
> Right now I'm on a Seagate trip since I had WD and IBM drives fail on
me
> but no Seagate drive for many years.  My opinion might change
tomorrow,
> who knows how lucky I'll stay.
>
>    Claus

Tim