[Cialug] OT: Tivo

Bryan Baker ka_klick at mac.com
Mon Jun 25 15:06:42 CDT 2007

Don't know if they still make them, but Pioneer and Toshiba both had
their own licensed Tivo's that bundled various forms of DVD with
them. We have a Toshiba model 2 from a few years back, and the nice
thing about those co-brands was they included Tivo "Basic" which was
a free service that simply gives you listings (not as far out) and
lets you use it much like a normal VCR but w/ real network listing
info. It did not allow things like the season pass, etc.

We've never paid Tivo a dime in fees, and are pretty happy with the
unit, since it works like a Tivo, but w/o the overhead.