[Cialug] OT: Tivo

Tim Wilson tim_linux at wilson-home.com
Mon Jun 25 14:55:02 CDT 2007

Hughes?  I'm guessing that's DirecTV?  There's a bunch for sale on eBay.
Just gotta be careful.  I've heard stories about people buying Tivos with a
balance still owed from the previous owner's account.  DirecTV wouldn't
activate unless that account was paid.

Of course, you could upgrade to the Series 3, but then you would have to pay
more per month than the monthly fee from DirecTV, and you'd be limited to
one tuner.  The S3 doesn't have built-in DirecTV tuners, so you would rely
on an external receiver, and have the S3 control it.  But, you'd have the
latest and greatest, and be prepared for HD (over the air and via cable).

I almost bought a different HDVR2 off eBay, I was having a problem with one
of the tuners.  Turns out, there's a problem that develops over time where
you start seeing glitches and freezes on tuner 2 if you are using too many
output cables.  I disconnected my S-Video, and my problem disappeared.
However, I've seen where others have tried that, and a year later, the
problem reemerges.  Food for thought on getting an HDVR2.

On 6/25/07, Tony Bibbs <tony at tonybibbs.com> wrote:

> That last storm killed my wifes Tivo unit.  She insists on Tivo so I guess
> I'll be picking one up here in the next day or two.  We had a Hughes Series
> 2 Tivo that was pretty solid but I'd be interested to know what some of you
> might recommend.  No, we aren't on HD (yet).
>
> --Tony

Tim