[Cialug] Broken Pipe using growisofs from scripts

Jonathan C. Bailey jbailey at co.marshall.ia.us
Mon Jun 25 11:13:16 CDT 2007

I'm getting a pretty cryptic "broken pipe" error when running growisofs from a script. I've tried the same thing in PHP, Python, and in Bash, but still get the error. The odd thing is that if I run the same command from an open shell, it runs just fine. I've also tried running the scripts as root and still couldn't get it to work.. I haven't found anything useful from Google... Any ideas?

Command:
growisofs -dry-run -M /dev/sr0 -R -J /DATA/DES_temp/BATCH1/*

Output:
Executing 'mkisofs -C 16,2240 -M /dev/fd/3 -R -J ***CUT OUT A BUNCH OF FILES*** | builtin_dd of=/dev/sr0 obs=32k seek=140'
INFO:   UTF-8 character encoding detected by locale settings.
        Assuming UTF-8 encoded filenames on source filesystem,
        use -input-charset to override.
Rock Ridge signatures found
mkisofs: Broken pipe. cannot fwrite 49152*1

Jonathan Bailey
Webmaster, Marshall County, Iowa
E: jbailey at co.marshall.ia.us