[Cialug] Sata Controller

dave at 58ghz.net dave at 58ghz.net
Mon Jun 11 15:31:06 CDT 2007

I'm not against software raid. I'm just frustrated at
the moment.  I had bunch of ide drives out of a bad
batch from Maxtor, and the last one finally failed.

I'm rebuilding a development workstation, or buying a
new one and I just wanted to build something more
reliable this time. I wanted to do  scsi, cause
that's what I know.
However, hindsight tells me to just save the scsi for
the servers and make the  move to sata on workstation
now.

I'm looking at the 3ware 8506 sata controller.

If I do software raid, I'll need a new Amd x2
motherboard with a plain sata controller that RHEL
supports. Maybe I can get a barebones box somewhere.
Any ideas on that?

I need to make a decision and order some hardware
tonight or tommorrow.

:) Dave