[Cialug] Sata Controller

Matthew Nuzum matthew.nuzum at canonical.com
Mon Jun 11 14:59:55 CDT 2007

On 6/11/07, dave at 58ghz.net <dave at 58ghz.net> wrote:

> I'm looking for a Sata raid controller that will run
> out-of-box, without a proprietary driver on RHEL 3.
> Something priced under  $200 would be great. Any
> recommendations?  I'm also looking for a pair of new
> 70+ gb sata drives (not Maxtor) something that will
> run 24x7 for at least 2 years under a light load.
> Again, any recommendations?

Does the 3ware use a proprietary driver? Its one of the favorites of the
PostgreSQL community. Also the WD Raptor line of hard drives are another
fav. They are very durable and are designed to compete with SCSI drives in
reliability and performance. Much more advanced firmware than typical
desktop drives. Much more expensive ($$/G) than desktop drives too, but I
haven't met anyone yet who regretted spending the extra money.

--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode