[Cialug] problem with apache2

Matthew Nuzum matthew.nuzum at canonical.com
Mon Jun 11 11:28:16 CDT 2007

On 6/10/07, Ralph <kesselr1 at mchsi.com> wrote:

> I finally go Apache to visit the virtual website but now I'm having
> problems with the security settings of the directories. I set them to
> chown 755 per Apache spec but still I keep getting the following error
> on error.log:

This should not be so difficult as I have set up php, apache, and mysql
> on other distributions but it's pulling teeth with Ubuntu. Why?

I don't know why you're having these problems, I've set up countless
websites on Ubuntu and the only thing remotely like this I've seen was the
first problem you reported, which was when I forgot to stop apache before
starting a new one.

I'd suggest sending more details. What is the path on the filesystem you're
using? What is the full PHP error in your phpinfo() test file? What apache
configuration options have you changed?

The Debian way (as far as I can tell) is to put your websites under /srv.
I've done this, I've also put websites under /var/www and also created them
in /home/sites (to mimic the old cobalts). Never had problems like this.
--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode