[Cialug] OT: Deep packet inspection meets 'Net neutrality, CALEA

Nathan Stien nathanism at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 13:16:01 CDT 2007

Many of you may be interested in this article:

http://arstechnica.com/articles/culture/deep-packet-inspection-meets-net-neutrality.ars

I'd be curious to hear some cialugger opinions on Net Neutrality.  Is
there even a consensus on precisely what the term means?  I read
conflicting versions of the idea all the time.  Both proponents and
the opposition claim that their position is about "saving the
internet".  Both sides argue that the other would harm innovation.
Anyone here feel strongly about this either way?  I would be
fascinated to hear your perspectives.

I know some people here work at or run ISPs, and I'd be extra curious
to hear their opinions.  Is this something we need to legislate, or
could the market take care of it?  (Though in most towns there's not
much of a real market...)  Do you ISPers long for the ability to shape
traffic and provide tiered service levels?  What about that "pay us
$10/month and we'll uncripple your VoIP" thing from the article?

I would imagine most people here, ISPer and non-ISPer alike, would
prefer that things like CALEA didn't exist.  Anyone have pro-CALEA
feelings or arguments?  (I myself would prefer complete deregulation
of strong crypto and more widespread usage of it among everyday people
for emails, cell phones, etc...)

--
Nathan P. Stien
Consulting Engineer / Software Developer