[Cialug] 64 bit difficulties?

Brandon Griffis brandongriffis at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 11:55:57 CDT 2007

I've only just tried out a 64-bit linux.  Mepis in my case.  Basically
kubuntu with a number of scripts and auto-detects to make sure everything
"just works".  6 months back many people in my old LUG were having trouble
with 64 bit installs.  A lot of the problems seem to have been well ironed
out.  Including CPU stepping.

SimplyMepis64 was the easiest install/config I've ever been though.  It's
rather limited in the install setup (you can only set swap, root, and /home
partitions in the GUI).  But if you want more than that you probably know
what you're doing anyway.

Mepis detected my wireless card, and has an opt in in the grub menu for the
nVidia drivers.  Beryl in 3d was up in running on my laptop off the live CD
and was installed that way and running on the first boot.  I did change the
wireless from manual to automatic in the mepis network util.

So far the only real issue I've had is getting suspend/hibernate to work
(which is more to do with the laptop hardware than the distro).

-Brandon