[Cialug] 64 bit difficulties?

Daniel A. Ramaley daniel.ramaley at DRAKE.EDU
Fri Jul 27 11:25:10 CDT 2007

I posted over a year ago[1] a question about graphics accelerators
because i was contemplating building a new machine. Well, my main
machine is 9 years old this month and i finally decided it was time to
build a new one; the parts should arrive next week. It will have an AMD
Athlon 64 X2 CPU. My question is, what difficulties should i
realistically expect to encounter if i install a 64-bit distribution? I
will most likely put Debian on the machine, though i'm still debating
between stable and testing (just upgraded my old machine last night to
testing so i can play with it for a few days first).

As for the graphics card i asked about earlier, i did go with nVidia.
I'd really prefer open source drivers; i've enjoyed Linux' usual
stability on my MacBook which has Intel graphics. But the consensus
seemed to be that though nVidia is closed, at least they keep the
drivers updated. So i found one fairly new but slow enough to not need
a fan that is listed as Linux compatible and ordered it. I am a bit
concerned that i'll have to replace it at some point though; i hope
this machine to last as long as my last one did and even if nVidia does
a good job of maintaining their drivers, i would be rather surprised if
they continued to maintain support for 8 or 9 years. Hopefully by then
either ATI and/or nVidia will have come to their senses with regards to
open source, Intel will have released standalone graphics cards, or the
Open Graphics Project[2] will have something on the market.

[1] http://www.cialug.org/pipermail/cialug/2006-May/005666.html
[2] http://wiki.opengraphics.org/tiki-index.php