[Cialug] Can I run Linux on HP 200 lx ?

Don Cady doncady at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 15:47:08 CDT 2007

>From Wikipedia; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_200lx
"The 200LX has an Intel 80186 central processing unit which runs at ~
7.91 megahertz (which can be upgraded or overclocked to up to 15.8
MHz) and 2 or 4 MB of memory, of which 640 KB is RAM and the rest can
be used for EMS or memory-based storage space. Aftermarket updates can
bring the memory chips to up to 64MB, which frees up the PCMCIA slot
for modem or ethernet card use (Silicom and Accton 2212/2216
supported). Being IBM PC/XT compatible and running MS-DOS 5.0 from
ROM, the HP 200LX could run virtually any program that would run on a
full-size PC compatible computer as long as the code was written for
the Intel 8086, 8088 or 80186 CPU and could run using CGA graphics. It
could also run programs written for the 80286 CPU, provided they did
not require protected memory.
The device does not provide the BIOS service (INT13) for reading from
a hard disk. Drivers have been partially written for this purpose (to
boot MINIX 2.0)"

So Dean; basically No, unless you want to spen your time futzing
around with ELKS, http://elks.sf.net.

Don