[Cialug] SMTP Relay

Tim Wilson tim_linux at wilson-home.com
Wed Jul 11 15:41:32 CDT 2007

On 7/11/07, Todd Walton <tdwalton at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7/11/07, Tim Wilson <tim_linux at wilson-home.com> wrote:
> > Did you take a look at Google Apps?  I'm pretty sure you can set up
> mailing
> > lists there.
>
> Please bottom post.

I prefer top post.  Using most e-mail clients, bottom posting requires the
reader to scroll to the bottom of the page to see the reply.  But, to each
their own.

<flame>
Please use emacs.
</flame>

Sorry, had to do that. :-D  Ok, back on topic.

I use Google Groups for several small mailing list-ish group things.
> I really like it.  It lets you send emails and make a calendar and
> other stuff.  It actually works out quite well.  They're set up based
> on interest.  So all my friends and family interested in learning
> German*, for example, can join Deutsch Practice.  Then when I feel
> like saying something in German I do it there.  I don't have to worry
> about maintaining the list or updating addresses or anything.

I don't think that will work.  I've used Yahoo Groups for mailing lists
before, but they did not work as part of my domain.  Not all of the mail was
delivered to the group.  Yahoo was blocking my mail because, at the time, my
registrar was forwarding mail for me.  Yahoo saw it as potential spam, and
blocked it.  I think that's what James is seeing now.  Yahoo and Google
groups work fine for mailing lists, but to have that mailing list as part of
the domain, I don't think they will work.

* Four of us!  German's the happening thing.

> -todd

Tim