[Cialug] SMTP Relay Authentication

Claus cniesen at gmx.net
Wed Jul 11 13:54:11 CDT 2007

On 7/10/2007 1:29 PM, David Champion wrote:
> Speaking of smtp... what are people doing for allowing remote smtp
> authentication? I'm using pop-before-smtp. It kinda works, but has
> problems. To use it, I have to start my email client, the send an email
> to myself (or anyone at my domain). If I don't do this, and try to send
> an email to anyone outside, I get a relaying denied message. After a
> while (30 minutes or so) the session times out, and I'll start getting
> the relaying denied message. I have to close the email client and start
> it again, and send myself another message...
>
> -dc

I use an SSH tunnel for SMTP traffic.  I haven't had any problem with it
while roaming around with the laptop.  It's pretty reliable and my wife
hasn't complained about it yet either. Although I trust her that she's
not starting to hack around on the system.  If it were for someone else
I really wouldn't want to give them shell access to my server.

   Claus