[Cialug] SMTP Relay

Thomas Kula kula at tproa.net
Tue Jul 10 14:58:09 CDT 2007

On Tue, Jul 10, 2007 at 12:52:31PM -0500, James Shoemaker wrote:
>   Anyone have a favorite SMTP relay provider?  I have a static IP, but
> no reverse DNS to it and I have started getting issues sending email to
> some domains so I need a system to relay through that has proper DNS
> entries.  Don't mention using my provider's SMTP server as they don't
> provide one, just webmail.  Switching providers is also not an option as
> they are the only one.

This is another potential use of what is rapidly becoming
one of my favorite tools, Xen colocations. There are any
number of providers that offer virtual machines in the $10 -
$25/mo range. I don't know what SMTP relay providers charge,
but if the cost is comperable, being able to set up your
machine to do exactly what you want seems attractive. There
are downsides (yet another machine to manage) but it
certainly seems like it has potential.

I have two Xen virtual hosts from two different providers
operating as my primary DNS and MX machines for the domains
I host. It has worked fairly smoothly, and I like the
redundancy I get from it as well.

--
Thomas L. Kula | kula at tproa.net | http://kula.tproa.net/
Mathom House at Ypsi-Edge, The People's Republic of Ames