[Cialug] NIC Teaming/Bonding and Vlans

Matt Patterson matt at usrlocal.com
Mon Jul 9 12:30:09 CDT 2007

All,

I have run into a problem that I'm hoping someone may have hit before.
I have a debian 3.1 box that I recently moved to a network where NIC
bonding/teaming is the standard.  I did the normal configuration of making
sure mii, bonding, and 8021q modules were loaded and the ifenslave
utility was installed.  I can setup the nic bond and everything appears
to be just fine.  However, when I add a vlan to the bond0 device, I get
the following:

ERROR: trying to add VLAN #224 to IF -:bond0:-  error: Invalid argument

in /var/log/syslog I see:

Jul  9 12:14:45 zabbix kernel: register_vlan_device: VLANs not supported
on bond0.

Normally I would accept that as being the case that maybe the NICs just
don't support vlans or something is screwed up with the vlan tools.
BUT... I can take down the NIC bond and add vlans to eth0 with NO ISSUES.

WTF!?!

Anyone have any insight on what I might be screwing up? Or is this a
debian feature?

-Matt