[Cialug] Introduction

Sean McClanahan sean.mcclanahan at westecnow.com
Mon Jul 9 09:31:51 CDT 2007

./firewalk - that did it.  See, something stupid that I was just not
accustomed to yet!

OK, now about your question / my intentions and goals.

I am tasked with the InfoSec operations for my company.  I have seen,
and been told, that many of the more "functional" tools are based on
Linux, with ports to the Win32 world not as common.  So, I decided that
it was time to learn Linux and see what the hype is about.  Plus, I want
to work with some of the tools that the "bad-guys" use, so I can start
to see my network the way they see it.

So far, I have to say I am impressed.  It is taking a little while to
teach this old dog new tricks, but I am starting to pick it up little by
little.

Smoothwall was an interesting product.  I played with it some a couple
of years ago when I was running my own biz back in VA.  In fact, it was
my firewall for many months.  But at the time, I didn't feel like I
could devote the time to really trying to learn about Linux, so it fell
by the wayside.

Not so anymore.  It is important to me that I start at least getting a
basic understanding of Linux and how it works.  Stupid things like ./
are the things that drive me nuts.

I appreciate all of the help everyone has given.  I hope someday I can
return that favor.

Sean