[Cialug] Introduction

Todd Walton tdwalton at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 12:45:03 CDT 2007

On 7/6/07, Sean McClanahan <sean.mcclanahan at westecnow.com> wrote:
> Hmmm...  an example of some difficulty that I've had is with the program
> Firewalk.  I was exposed to it in a SANS class, and it seems to be an
> interesting program.  So, I downloaded the RPM and it looked like the
> program installed itself OK - but I cannot seem to get it to run.

So, you've found how to run it?  The command is there?  What messages
does it give you?

I tried to look up Firewalk on the Internet, but nothing has any good
information on it.  The freshmeat page is closed.  The home page is
down.

> I would say that it looks like there is no path to the executable

Oh, I see.  Try this:

# updatedb; locate firewalk | xargs file | grep executable

That should update your 'locate' database, then find all files that
have "firewalk" somewhere in the pathname, then determine the file
type of each of those files.  Any file type listings that read
something about "executable" will print out to your screen.  I suppose
that's a start.  You'd want to make sure that the executable is in
your $PATH.

But without Internet references for the program, it's hard to say
anything beyond that.  For example, maybe it's not "executable"
according to 'file', but rather "script".

I don't know.  One would think that installing it by RPM would make
everything work just fine.

-todd