[Cialug] Gpt drives and management tools

Nathan C. Smith nathan.smith at ipmvs.com
Tue Jul 3 11:39:42 CDT 2007

I'm trying to format some multi-terabyte drives and I think I need to try a
different angle.  Mkfs.ext3 and xfs seem not to recognize the full device
when I identify it using /dev/sdb1 but it seems these tools don't recognize
the "UUID=95e343a2-2189-41c5-a4ea-45922c4a95e2" type of label.

Is parted the only way to format these drives?  I couldn't get parted to use
anything but ext2 or linux-swap when I was trying to use it.

Am I better off formatting several smaller drives and tying them together
with LVM?  Ultimately, I just want a simple flat space where I can put very
large files.  (The drives are already protected by hardware-RAID 6 )

Any hints?  Thanks.  (I'm using Ubuntu Fiesty).  I'm not finding a lot of
usefult stuff with Google, maby you have to join a cloister to get the good
info on this stuff?

-Nate

Nathan Smith  McKee, Voorhees & Sease, P.L.C.  515.288.3667