[Cialug] Custom distro CD's

Aaron Porter atporter at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 16:05:08 CST 2007

On 1/30/07, Matt <cialug at flash.shanje.com> wrote:
> Does anyone have any clue how to build them?  I've got a project that I'm
> working on, and while I'm decent at using *nix (FreeBSD right now) I'm not
> well enough versed to really know how to go about making a _very_ custom
> distro CD.  Does anyone have any good resources for making CD's, or would
> anyone have time to help a *nix newbie figure this out?

When I have to do this I take a Debian Netboot ISO from
cdimages.debian.org, modify the isolinux.cfg file to add a preseed/url
option to the append line, and point that at a publicly accessible web
server. That way I can tweak or update the custom install without
having to burn a new CD. 99% of the time I do this via PXE boot so
it's even easier, but the ISO method works pretty well too.

You can find a decent article about the Debian preseed stuff here: