[Cialug]Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG

David Champion dchampion at visionary.com
Mon Jan 29 17:23:14 CST 2007

David Champion wrote:
> Dan Hockey wrote:
>> Has anyone had any luck with getting Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG
>> working in
>> mandriva 2k7? I'm trying to dual boot my Toshiba satellite a105. I've
>> tried
>> ubuntu and susue 10(fedora or sarge may be next) before this with the
>> same
>> results. Any ideas on what I could be missing and/or doing wrong?
>> -dh
>
> I think that's the same chip that's in my Dell D620, here's what the
> invoice said:
>
> NC293    CARD (CIRCUIT), NETWORK, MINICARD, 3945ULD
>
> It works just fine under Mandriva 2007 (running the PowerPack edition,
> but I don't think that driver is exclusive to PowerPack).
>
> I can look when I get home and see what module it's using.
>
> Did you check to see that the WiFi radio is turned on? You may have to
> change a setting in the BIOS, or some laptops (like the D620) have a
> switch on the side as well.

Confirmation - My Mandriva 2007 is using the ipw3945 module as well.
There are 2 modules with ipw3945 in the name, if you don't have those
installed, try "urpmi ipw3945", or type 3945 in the search box in the
graphical installer.

- Make sure the radio is enabled.

- If you're using Mandriva, use drakxconf -> network -> wireless card,
specify the wireless network settings, and it should work.

There are other tools in Mandriva (drakroam) but I haven't had a lot of
luck getting them to work. If you manually copy the files it creates
from /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/wireless.d/ into
network-scripts/ifcfg-ethX then try to start the interface, it complains
about some parameters being wrong, so there must be a bug in a script
somewhere. Haven't taken the time to track that down yet.

-dc