[Cialug] OT: Apple iPhone and digital media

David Champion dchampion at visionary.com
Tue Jan 16 15:14:04 CST 2007

Nathan Stien wrote:
> On 1/16/07, Dave J. Hala Jr. <dave at 58ghz.net> wrote:
>> What kills the iphone for me is being tied to Cingular.
>
> There's also the idea of carrying a fragile $500 (+ 2 year contract)
> gadget in your pocket every day.  If the insanely delicate modern
> iPods are any indicator, those things may scratch all to hell in no
> time.

... and don't forget that they'll sue you if you look at them funny.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/mobiles--handhelds/apple-crunches-websites-over-iphone-skins/2007/01/15/1168709656280.html

Just the fact that the iPhone is going to be a closed & DRM'ed platform
completely turns me off on it.

Even though the Treo's are a bit behind in tech, I love the wide variety
of third party applications available for PalmOS.

I'm just waiting for one of the Linux smartphones (others have mentioned
in this thread) to come on the market.

-dc