[Cialug] OT: Apple iPhone and digital media

Matthew Nuzum matthew.nuzum at canonical.com
Tue Jan 16 09:08:57 CST 2007

On Tue, 2007-01-16 at 08:51 -0600, Nathan Stien wrote:
> I want a phone I can hack.  There are Nokias that run Python [1] and
> all manner of Asian and European phones that run hackable Linux
> kernels.  Mildly famous kernel hacker Harald Welte [2] is working on a
> very sweet platform for Linux phones called OpenMoko [3].  Perhaps the
> very best part of these phones is that they are Debian-derived and
> therefore have apt-get (no doubt with a shiny GUI on top).  Mind you,
> the first phone for this platform is a lime green monstrosity, but the
> key here is the _platform_, and there will soon be other, better
> hardware that uses it, perhaps hardware that takes cues from the
> iPhone (minus the shackles and DRM).
>
> [1] http://opensource.nokia.com/projects/pythonfors60/
> [2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harald_Welte
> [3] http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=35590

This guy behind the OpenMoko has been contacting us like crazy, wanting
to port *buntu to this phone. I don't think he wants to pay though, so
he'll probably have to hand a few out to the community to get things
started. Still, that team seems to really be into OSS, and not just in
the, "how can I get programmers for free" mentality, but in the "let's
make a hackable platform" type of way.

Hmm... does OpenMoko == Neo1973? The guy I'm thinking of is actually
behind the Neo1973. Both names stink imho.
--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode