[Cialug] OT: Apple iPhone and digital media

Tim Wilson tim_linux at wilson-home.com
Mon Jan 15 22:45:46 CST 2007

I've found a couple interesting links regarding the iPhone and look-alikes:

The LG KE850 and iPhone side-by-side:
http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/11/iphone-and-lg-ke850-separated-at-birth

The open source phone that kinda looks like an iPhone:
http://www.openmoko.com/press/index.html

I don't know how either of these compare to the iPhone, but it is
interesting there are clones/look-alikes out or are about to released,
and the iPhone isn't going to be out for 5 months.

As far as Tivo, I'd be interested in hearing more.  I have a Series 1
standalone, and a Series 2 DirecTivo.  The DirecTivo I plan on
"slicing" to a newer version of software not supported by DirecTV.
Once I do that, I should be able to do more hacks, including
downloading shows.

On 1/15/07, Nathan C. Smith <smith at ipmvs.com> wrote:

> So I saw the Keynote Steve Jobs gave and I have to say I'm pretty blown away
> by the iPhone.
> Anybody else have a reaction to it?
>
> Apple TV looks a little more polished than MythTV, but I don't see anything
> outstanding there.
>
> BTW, if you have TIVO, there is a really nice program called Galleon that
> can download shows from Tivo.  There is also software available now to
> decode your Tivo video using the media key for playback on any device.  This
> may be old news but I was happy when I got it to work this last weekend.
>
> -Nate
>
> Must.... Have....  iPhone......   Apple Grip..... To strong... To...
> Resist.....

Tim