[Cialug] HP dv2210us laptop presentation update

Matthew Nuzum matthew.nuzum at canonical.com
Sun Feb 25 17:17:43 CST 2007

On Sun, 2007-02-25 at 16:18 -0600, kristau wrote:
> An update on some things I've found out since my presentation at the
> last meeting.
>
> LCD brightness adjustment keys crashing X:
> Kevin C. Smith pointed me in the right direction on this one
> (thanks!).  It seems to effect multiple brands and models of laptops
> under Ubuntu (and probably other distros).  If you blacklist the video
> module (this is done in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist), then the crash
> doesn't happen any more.  The keys to adjust brightness still don't
> work for me, but at least it doesn't crash.  I did find a couple of
> work-arounds, though.  Before the OS loads (during Grub or CMOS/BIOS
> splash), you can adjust the brightness with the function keys.  After
> the OS has loaded, you can use nvidia-settings utility to adjust
> brightness.  Not as convenient, but better than the alternative!

I haven't had this exact problem, but I've wished I could control the
screen brightness and have the lcd dim automatically when on battery...
well, recently on planet.ubuntu.com I saw that someone has put some
major effort into this and it *sounds like* it may be there in Feisty,
as well as better support for cpu speed scaling and other power saving
tricks.

I'm sorry, can't find the link, and didn't recognize the guy hacking on
it. The screenshots looked good, so if this is true and it will be in
the "box" for Feisty, us laptop users should be pretty happy. Maybe I'll
get back up to 3+ hours unplugged again.
--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode