[Cialug] Broadband Internet

Dave Weis djweis at internetsolver.com
Fri Feb 9 16:58:39 CST 2007

On Fri, 9 Feb 2007, Matt wrote:
> Internet Solver uses Qwest's DSL lines to deliver their service, so
> you'd still have to pay Qwest.  You may want to talk to Qwest to see if
> they can actually test your line.  I was pre-qualified for 1.5mbit, but
> not 7mbit.  Once they came and tested, they said they could get me 7.
> They just don't want to sell you something that they can't deliver, so
> they're being cautious.

We can do that in addition to providing our own DSL signal on a copper
line. Our newest service is completely standalone and doesn't require you
to get any Qwest services. We have some areas that we are the only
provider of DSL at all. We have put in our own remote DSLAM's and also
have central office DSLAM's that have a 20% further reach than Qwest.

> As far as Mediacom goes, they're usually pretty fast, but it really
> depends on how much the node that you're connected is used.  The other
> problem is that if your neighbor downloads a ton of stuff over cable,
> your cable internet can become turtle-slow.

I'll second that, I had cable briefly before there was a remote dslam in
my neighborhood. It was very hot and cold.

dave