[Cialug] Hard Drive Crashed

David Bierce operations at cynicbytrade.com
Tue Feb 6 16:20:02 CST 2007

Ello --

The Freezer trick is generally considered safe if you let the drive
cool down to at least room temp first then freeze it so you don't
have a warping effect on the platter or hurt the chips.  Also, it is
suggested you ziplock it or wrap it first to avoid condensation forming.

However, knocking noises at boot aren't generally fixed with the
freezer trick, since the goal of the freezer trick is to contract the
platter making it easier to read.

Dave