[Cialug] See!

Zachary Kotlarek zach at kotlarek.com
Sat Dec 22 12:28:46 CST 2007

On Dec 22, 2007, at 9:42 AM, Todd Walton wrote:

> I've been wanting to write a shell script for a while.  I'm thinking
> of it as "play" in my head.  I'd say "play filename" and it would call
> the program appropriate to open a certain file.  "play notes.txt",
> "play sunset.jpg", "play beck.mp3", and so on.  I just discovered
> that, as so often happens, I'm not the first with this itch.  There's
> a program called "see".  It's an alias to run-mailcap.  run-mailcap
> can be called as see, edit, compose, or print.  It will execute the
> appropriate program, as determined by the mailcap, to perform that
> requested action on the specified file.
>
> This is on my Ubuntu system, and the man page is from 1998.

Or "open" from NextStep, and later from OS X:

DESCRIPTION
      The open command opens a file (or a directory or URL), just as
if you had double-clicked the file's icon. If no
      application name is specified, the default application as
determined via LaunchServices is used to open the spec-
      ified files.

The modern version is pretty useless without LaunchServices, but
there's on version circa 1995 floating around:
	http://www.cs.stir.ac.uk/~kjt/software/nextstep/

	Zach