[Cialug] See!

Todd Walton tdwalton at gmail.com
Sat Dec 22 09:42:37 CST 2007

I've been wanting to write a shell script for a while.  I'm thinking
of it as "play" in my head.  I'd say "play filename" and it would call
the program appropriate to open a certain file.  "play notes.txt",
"play sunset.jpg", "play beck.mp3", and so on.  I just discovered
that, as so often happens, I'm not the first with this itch.  There's
a program called "see".  It's an alias to run-mailcap.  run-mailcap
can be called as see, edit, compose, or print.  It will execute the
appropriate program, as determined by the mailcap, to perform that
requested action on the specified file.

This is on my Ubuntu system, and the man page is from 1998.

-todd