[Cialug] Question about Ubuntu

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Fri Dec 21 21:34:48 CST 2007

On 12/21/07, Stuart Thiessen <sthiessen at passitonservices.org> wrote:

> 1) What is the best place(s) to start to troubleshoot this kind of
> problem (both at his home and at the office)?
>
> 2) For the office, would it be better to install something else that
> would be more focused on fileserving to one Windows PC and 3 Macs? If
> so, what do you suggest? I have all the data on a separate hard drive
> so it is no problem to install something different if that is a better
> solution.

What version of Ubuntu did you install?  Unless it's one of the long
term support versions I'd recommend switching either to something like
CentOS or one of the other free enterprise Linux distros.  Fileservers
generally don't need the latest bling that distros like Ubuntu or
Fedora are good at delivering.

> 3) For his home PC, have you experienced this before? He didn't have
> this problem with Windows, but he did with Ubuntu. I can gather
> specifics if I know what will help to troubleshoot.

I've had problems recently with the wireless on my laptop as well...
If I try and push a lot of data through it it will drop the connection
and won't work reliably after that.  It seems to be a problem with the
drivers in more recent kernels. For now I just plug into a wired jack
if I need to move a lot of data (it's faster anyway).

Jeff