[Cialug] Question about Ubuntu

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Fri Dec 21 21:30:40 CST 2007

On Dec 21, 2007 5:57 PM, Stuart Thiessen <sthiessen at passitonservices.org>
wrote:

> One experience both PC's are having is that the network connections
> are not very stable.

Can you give more details about what you mean by "not very stable?" Also,
what wireless driver is he using? Did he have to go through some extra
effort to get wireless working or did it just work by default? Also, what
version of Ubuntu?

> 2) For the office, would it be better to install something else that
> would be more focused on fileserving to one Windows PC and 3 Macs?

Ubuntu server is good but it's really geared for people who want a plain
vanilla server environment to build their foundation on. As an experienced
sysadmin I love it. However, I might recommend someone with very specific
needs to look for an appliance based Linux environment. There are a number
of Linux/Samba NAS appliance distributions you may want to consider.

Without knowing what you mean by "not very stable," I have to guess. My
biggest networking related problem with NAS type boxes has been the lack of
a master browser on the network preventing computers from seeing each other
properly. The solution is to set up Samba to enable its WINS server and then
tell your DHCP server to tell all the clients about it when they get their
IP address. Doing this has solved my problems.

--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode