[Cialug] DKIM

Tom Pohl tom at tcpconsulting.com
Fri Dec 21 08:34:20 CST 2007

I use both DKIM and SPF on several domains (DKIM on all and SPF on
*most*) and it has helped both reduce bounced spoofed From: messages
as well as acceptance of legitimate email to other domains.

If you look at the headers of this message you'll see something like
this:
d=tcpconsulting.com; b=dPejcNrJ
+qif0F5AxfMUx9mFL08Ge47QbTcMI1mfm9YwYzXzrFLl4z8HRofR3HUb;

The receiving mail server can determine if the signed message is
legitimate by querying the TXT record of
private._domainkey.tcpconsulting.com and verifying the signature
against the public key available in DNS:
nslookup
 > set q=txt
 > private._domainkey.tcpconsulting.com
private._domainkey.tcpconsulting.com    text = "k=rsa\;
p=MEwwDQYJKoZIhvcNAQEBBQADOwAwOAIxAMEunZofNkSsGbXA5j3qGl3NpCc
+qGVus6VsrYteHHYRluKc0wNcDefZkNVhewhxuwIDAQAB"

If it matches, you have validated that the message was sent from the
sending domain legitimately.  It does *not* mean that it isn't spam,
just that it is a legitimate message from the sending domain.

-Tom