[Cialug] New laptop success

Tim Wilson tim_linux at wilson-home.com
Thu Dec 20 16:59:30 CST 2007

I mentioned to a couple people last night that I was having problems getting
my new laptop to boot KUbuntu 7.10.  I discovered that if I take out the
"quiet" and "splash" boot options, and add "vga=771" (after the "--"), it
boots off the DVD.  So at least there is partial success.  For the record,
it is an HP dv9408nr laptop.  Supposedly, there are XP driver issues with
some of the newer (read: loaded with Vista) HP Laptops.  If I get it to
install, this could be another example where Linux surpasses XP for hardware
support.  The next trick is I want to install KUbuntu to my external USB
hard drive (at least until I figure out how to get the drive repartitioned,
and get Vista to be happy with it).  Ken, didn't you have issues getting
Vista and Ubuntu to play well together?

--
Tim