[Cialug] Wired and Wireless security differences

Nathan C. Smith nathan.smith at ipmvs.com
Mon Dec 17 15:15:09 CST 2007

Today somebody challenged my (perhaps falsely held) belief that an SSL
transaction over wireless was equivalent to SSL over wired.  Is there an
appreciable difference between the two?

What if WEP or WAP is involved?  Has anybody here actually cracked their own
WEP or WAP just to see what is involved?  I had been thinking of it as a
bicycle lock, but perhaps it is even less?  Are any of the workplace
wireless products like from Cisco etc. now using VPNs or more advanced
encryption to encrypt wireless communications further than WAP?

-Nate