[Cialug] Bandwidth Shapers

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Mon Dec 17 11:41:35 CST 2007

On 12/17/07, Matthew Nuzum <newz at bearfruit.org> wrote:

> That implies, as far as I can tell, that some proxy server would have to be
> used in order to shape HTTPS traffic since I know of no other way besides IP
> based rules, which you didn't want to do. Meaning without the client
> configured to use a proxy server you can't shape the https stuff (that I
> know of, and even them some types of proxying, like transparent proxying,
> don't work afaik).

I'm OK with shaping by IP address, I just don't want to maintain the
list of IP addresses myself - I'd rather pay to have someone else
maintain the list.  I just want to click a checkbox next to something
that says "limit facebook to 5Mb/s" and have it "just work" without me
having to run a sniffer and figure out what IP addresses facebook's
servers run from.  Same deal for myspace, youtube, etc.

Jeff