[Cialug] Bandwidth Shapers

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Mon Dec 17 11:22:18 CST 2007

On Dec 17, 2007 9:54 AM, Jeffrey Ollie <jeff at ocjtech.us> wrote:

> I'm curious if anyone knows of a product that will help us shape some
> of our Internet traffic.  In particular, we need something that will:
>
> 1) Handle a lot of bandwidth, at least 40Mb/s of bandwidth currently

> 2) Have the ability to shape traffic to particular web sites

> 3) Time based controls (so we could limit facebook traffic during the
> day, but open it up at night).

Very interesting question. My first thought was that I'd done this before,
but I realized I hadn't. I'd merely used squid to match regex and block
traffic. Your idea would require shaping based on content.

That implies, as far as I can tell, that some proxy server would have to be
used in order to shape HTTPS traffic since I know of no other way besides IP
based rules, which you didn't want to do. Meaning without the client
configured to use a proxy server you can't shape the https stuff (that I
know of, and even them some types of proxying, like transparent proxying,
don't work afaik).

I've never used (nor heavily investigated) shaping using a proxy server.
Therefore I'm not 100% positive its possible even if you do have your
clients configured for a proxy server. I'm not sure I'd be 100% comfortable
managing such a proxy server if it is possible.

This leads me to another idea, and that is a tool that will do the name ->
ip mapping for you so that you can use simpler tools for your shaping. Just
list a bunch of domains and let the tool create the IP based tables for your
shaping solution.

--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode