[Cialug] java web toolkits

Tony Bibbs tony at tonybibbs.com
Wed Dec 12 12:58:22 CST 2007

We're using Yahoo's YUI library, http://developer.yahoo.com/yui.

It's unique in that the documentation is pretty extensive.  For the specific example you gave they have a connection manager that makes the asych calls and then all that is left to write is the dom manipulation to insert your data into the drop down.

We're using YUI because it is JS-only which works well in our mixed environment (Java, PHP, .NET).  If you have lots of different types of use for AJAX you'd probably be wise to go with GWT especially given you do more Java than anything else.  If you plan on doing only a few AJAX-type things but do them over and over again then I'd recommend something like YUI.

If you go the YUI route I've got plenty of examples I can probably share in addition to the ones Yahoo! provides.

--Tony