[Cialug] OT: New wifi legislation

Brandon Griffis brandongriffis at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 16:27:37 CST 2007

I'm not really sure how bad this is (aside from being a waste).  I mean.
It's either completely ineffective, or terribly destructive to small
business, or in an extreme case somewhat Orwellian.

So far it appears (and I'm hoping) that completely ineffective is the most
likely possibility.

>From the article about what SAFE requires:
"...Anyone providing an "electronic communication service" or "remote
computing service" to the public who learns about the transmission or
storage of information about certain illegal activities or an illegal image
must...."

...hmm... "who learns"?   So the monitoring is in no way required (at least
per my very limited understanding of SAFE), and if you don't monitor you
won't "learn" unless someone is REALLY giving themselves away, so it will be
entirely ineffective.

Is there any other way to take this?

-B