[Cialug] Re: DSMGG LAN Party (WAS: Administrative stuff)

Tim Wilson tim_linux at wilson-home.com
Wed Dec 5 16:31:02 CST 2007

On Dec 5, 2007 4:09 PM, David Champion <dchampion at visionary.com> wrote:

> Jeffrey Ollie wrote:
> > On 12/5/07, Tim Wilson <tim_linux at wilson-home.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I'm trying to get my new laptop ready.  I want to do a backup of it
> before
> >> Vista screws with it.  And doing a backup of it has proved to be a
> pain.  If
> >> I can get it ready in time, I plan on registering.  If not, I guess
> I'll
> >> catch it next time.  What is the registration deadline?
> >>

> > You're going to run Vista on a gaming PC?  Everything that I've read
> > indicates that XP is much faster than Vista.  Even if I liked Windows,
> > I can't think of a compelling reason to switch (other than "Ooh I
> > gotta have the latest release").
> >
> > Jeff
> >
> I was talking to Dan J. about this at lunch - he mentioned having a
> Vista laptop for work - with no install CD, and the Vista backup -
> create DVD thing is apparently a pain.
>
> I suggested just ghosting the partition with G4L (ghost for linux), then
> if you screw it up you can just restore the image.

I want to back up the drive before Vista even boots, that way if it fails
the first time, I can always restore it back.  I also want to back it up
after I go through the massive Windows Update list that is sure to be
waiting for me.  But the backup before Vista boots is where I'm stuck.  I
have Norton Ghost 2003, with a DOS based version.  It sees the internal
drive, but not the external USB hard drive.  The laptop can boot from the
external drive, but DOS and Norton can't see it.  So my thought was to put a
FAT32 partition on the external drive, format it so it boots, and put DOS
USB drivers on it.  I've gotten all the files together (I think), now I just
have to put them on the hard drive.  So with luck, I'll back it up tonight.
If that fails, then I can still use Ghost to back up to DVD.  Since I don't
know how bloated Vista is, I'm wary of doing that for fear I run out of
discs, or have a stack so big, that it is unmanageable.  Or worse yet, one
of the discs fails, and now I have a bad backup.

I tried DSLinux and Ubuntu 6.10, and had issues either in booting or seeing
the drives.  Perhaps another version would work better.  Does G4L come with
Ubuntu?

> -dc

Tim