[Cialug] New Computer Hardware Issue

Daniel A. Ramaley daniel.ramaley at DRAKE.EDU
Mon Dec 3 12:46:41 CST 2007

On Monday 03 December 2007 12:23, Todd Walton wrote:
>Funky Thing
>When I disconnect the IDE cable to the optical drive, but leave power
>plugged in, it'll turn on.  I can eject it and it winks its LED at me.
> So they must build drives to take input from the motherboard on
>whether it's okay to power up or not.

You said you have a IDE optical drive. What type of hard drive are you
using, IDE, SATA, SCSI, something else?

What happens if you disconnect the data cable to the hard drive but
leave power connected to it and turn the machine on? Does the drive
spin up? Hint: some drives are so quiet you can't tell they are on from
listening, but if you hold the drive in 3-space and gently rock it back
and forth you'll feel a torque countering your movement if it is
spinning.

Are you sure the IDE cable is good? Are the master/slave jumpers set
correctly? If the hard drive is also IDE, are both drives plugged into
the same cable? Are the hard drives master/slave jumpers correct? Is
the master device on the end of the cable and the slave in the middle?
(*Shouldn't* matter, but sometimes does.)