[Cialug] DSL(?) question.....

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Mon Aug 20 09:18:17 CDT 2007

On 8/20/07, Theron Conrey <theron.conrey at dice.com> wrote:
> Looking for a good next step:
>
> I'm helping a friend get a computer together for his daughter.  She's
> been using Ubuntu on his desktop, and he's ready to give her her own box.  > I say the websites because synaptic works fine...  IRC works fine... Only
> the browser can't get out on the net.  This is a quest with msn account,
> and I'm not sure how everything with that type connection is structured.  > I guess what I'm looking for is what to check next.
>
> I can use ndiswrapper to get the card working and recognized by the OS.
> I can get associated with the wireless using WEP.
> I can ping the router.
> I can resolve web addresses.
> I can apt-get to my heart's content.
> I can connect to freenode and rant about this odd situation.
> I just can't seem to get ANY browser to get out to the internet. (firefox, epiphany, w3m)

What version of Ubuntu?

I seem to remember a version having a problem when IPv6 was enabled,
but I think that was a firefox only problem.

Are you sure the Qwest DSL service is working correctly? Would be nice
to be able to confirm via a known-good computer that the DSL isn't the
problem.

Just an FYI, synaptic uses the http protocol, so it is a web-browser
of sorts. If you're getting updates or are able to install software
via synaptic then it implies the problem is not with http.
--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode