[Cialug] DSL(?) question.....

Theron Conrey theron.conrey at dice.com
Mon Aug 20 08:59:48 CDT 2007

Looking for a good next step:

I'm helping a friend get a computer together for his daughter.  She's been using Ubuntu on his desktop, and he's ready to give her her own box.  So, out we went, got a system built, and loaded the OS.  I ran into some issues with the atheros wifi driver and ndiswrapper (1.47 works the installed version with Ubuntu 1.45 causes an issue where the card reports an incorrect pciid to the OS, don't ask, 1.47 resolved the issue and that's all the further down that rabbit hole I ventured) and she's excited to take this shiny workstation to school.  Only one snag.... It doesn't get out to websites.  I say the websites because synaptic works fine...  IRC works fine... Only the browser can't get out on the net.  This is a quest with msn account, and I'm not sure how everything with that type connection is structured.  I guess what I'm looking for is what to check next.

I can use ndiswrapper to get the card working and recognized by the OS.
I can get associated with the wireless using WEP.
I can ping the router.
I can resolve web addresses.
I can apt-get to my heart's content.
I can connect to freenode and rant about this odd situation.
I just can't seem to get ANY browser to get out to the internet. (firefox, epiphany, w3m)

Much obliged for comments.
-Theron