[Cialug] ./configure question

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Mon Aug 6 13:15:13 CDT 2007

On 8/6/07, Barry Von Ahsen <barry at vonahsen.com> wrote:
> Daniel A. Ramaley wrote:
> > Is there a way to determine what ./configure options were given to a
> > piece of software before it was compiled? If so, how? Unfortunately,
> > the binary i have is already stripped, and i'm guessing such
> > information (if it is indeed recorded in the binary as i hope) is
> > removed during the stripping process.
> >
> > What i'm trying to do is debug a problem with the version of AfterStep
> > that came bundled with Debian Etch. I can certainly trace variables in
> > the source package to see how it was built, but if there is a general
> > way to pull the ./configure options from compiled software, i'd like to
> > learn how to do it.
> >

> I think all of the compile/package options are in debian/rules if you
> apt-get src (if the configure.cache itself isn't there)
>
> -barry

If that doesn't work, you can find some of the information you need by
looking at the binary file.

You can use ldd (I think) to see what libraries are linked to a binary.

/me quickly googles

ah ha.

$ldd /bin/more
        linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0xffffe000)
        libncurses.so.5 => /lib/libncurses.so.5 (0xb7f81000)
        libc.so.6 => /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6 (0xb7e37000)
        libdl.so.2 => /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libdl.so.2 (0xb7e32000)
        /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xb7fd4000)

Far from a complete ./configure detail, but may help.
--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode