[Cialug] Intel PRO/Wireless ipw3945

Jeffrey C. Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Wed Apr 25 12:45:32 CDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-04-25 at 09:41 -0500, Tim Wilson wrote:
> In my travails to get my Netgear card running under NDISWrapper, I
> discovered that some kernels are using a 4k stack, and others are
> using larger stacks.  Some cards/drivers require a larger stack
> (reasons I don't understand).

Windows uses an 8K stack I believe, so some Windows drivers use more
than the 4K that Linux allocates which causes obvious problems.

>   But, it might be worth a shot to see if
> you can get a kernel with a bigger stack, or recompile it with a
> bigger stack.  FWIW, I got my card running under OpenSuse, using an
> alternate pre-compiled kernel.

That shouldn't be necessary with the ipw3945 card - Intel has been very
good recently about providing real open source drivers for their gear
and getting them integrated upstream in the kernel and X.org.

Jeff